Saturday, November 2, 2013

Lose that weight, in a healthy way!

Salam. Bon jour!

Alhamdulillah, on Thursday (31/10/13) I had my first clinical attachment at klinik kesihatan Kelana Jaya. As I mentioned in the previous post, I am a nutrition and dietetics (NaD) student. This semester is the start of my third year. So as a third year first semester student, it's a tradition for NaD students to go to clinics and hospitals to get hands on experience in nutrition counseling in clinical settings. 

I volunteered to counsel a patient with diabetes dengan darah tinggi and she was overweight.  And then I realized banyak lagi benda yang kena belajar. But 1 thing that I know was, since my patient was overweight, there are formulas that she can use to better manage her weight. 

So let's say if you are overweight or obese, and you really want to lose weight in a healthy way, shed only 10% of your weight in six months. Here's the formula:

10% x your current weight (kg) = (kg) that you're allowed to lose in 6 months


Ok ni contoh dia,

Let's say A weighs 71 kg. He wants to lose that 10% in six months.

                                 10% x 71 kg = 7.1 kg

So then 71 kg tu tolak dgn 7.1 kg:

                                  71 kg - 7.1 kg = 63.9 kg

Voila! In six months A should weigh 63.9 kg. Not bad eh?

I have one more formula to give out. Sure you've been working out and you've lost that 10% but... how do you know what your ideal body weight (IBW) should be? Here comes another formula.


                                          22.5 x height^2 (m^2) = IBW

Ok second contoh pulak,
A wants to be at his ideal weight. His height is 163 cm. So he calculates his IBW as:

                             22.5 x (1.63^2) = 59.8 kg 


Wow! A has a little more to go to reach his ideal weight! Go for it A! Btw, A is a fictional character. =p

So that's all I wanted to share with you today. To those people who are trying to lose weight, try using these formulas as guides. Take small steps. Try not to take those expensive supplements or jamu or whatever to lose weight. In the end, you still have to control your diet and increase your physical activities. Lose weight in a healthy way.
I wish you the best of luck! Ganbatte!

No comments:

Post a Comment